Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Spencer's Birthday

It’s late at night as I arrive at The Mayan Nightclub for Spencer’s birthday party.  As I exit my car, the coldness cuts deep into my warm body.  I dash toward The Mayan seeking refuge from the chilled air, and catch up on the events.
I walk into The Mayan.  A huge skeleton greets me from above.  Moving deeper inside, ghosts and goblins hover over me.  The lights are on low and are interspersed among the ghoulish creatures. Clearly, the décor of Halloween still haunted The Mayan.  The DJs’ sound lab on the second level offered little light, and piped great energy to the speakers mounted throughout. 
Silhouettes of party goers are bobbing about on the dance floor in the distance.  Their movements are in synch with the rhythm of the sounds that flood the large open space.  The music is energizing.
I manage to navigate my way to a vacant seat near D’Aaron.  He’s wearing a cute little hat, plaid shirt, and jeans – an outfit complementing the weather.  He’s passing around a birthday card in an earnest effort to have others in our group to ink their wishes and signature.  His demeanor is telling.  D’Aaron holds a tremendous amount of respect for Spencer.
"I can tell you this,” said D'Aaron, “Spencer has a very good energy about him.  He's a good person.  Even on his birthday he is taking care of others as if they were a guest in his home."
Soon thereafter, I was rushed over to meet Cha Cha Diva – promotional affairs and special events agent for The Mayan Nightclub.   She’s a very vibrant young woman.  Her hair drapes like a brunette curtain, daintily about her shoulders.  She’s wearing a semi-leopard print mini dress fitting for the club.  
Cha Cha Diva peaks my interest telling me that she, too, is a writer.  Her writings include spoken word and lyrics.  I didn't want to keep her on such a special occasion so I then turned my attention to Nadia Uriostegui.  Nadia is enjoying and rocking out to "Rollin in the Deep" by Adele.  I really got a kick out seeing her sing and dance to the song as if she were the next big singer on the rise.  
The strobe light that touched every angle of the club was the only light that made the couples visible on the dance floor. The DJ are doing well keeping the dance floor energized; playing the all time favorites.  My foot tapped as 50Cent’s "You Can Find Me in the Club", blared through the speakers.
Suddenly, there was a pause.  The crowd encircled Spencer as he took his position on the serving side of the bar on one side of his cake.  There was a moment of friendly controversy for some as they questioned aloud whether we were to sing the Spanish or English version of “Happy Birthday”.  Others in the crowed opted to sing in English.  The others weren’t too far behind.  The song came to a climax as the crowd applauded and shouted their well wishes to Spencer.
Spencer wasted no time in getting back to work and hosting The Mayan’s guests. Spencer hastily makes his way to the kitchen.  Within seconds he reappears with small multi-color lighted buckets of ice, Cloud 9 and other libations.
A section of seats under the DJ booth is sectioned off by red rope designating it as a VIP section.  My curiosity draws me closer and into the company of YaYa Marchani – rap artist of "Summer Time in LBC". Seated beside him is Capone, Producer; Yung’n, rap artist.
Yung'n is signed with YaYa's label.  Yung'n said he’s been in the [rap art] game for a year in a half now and that his album will be released in March.
After my chat with Yung'n I see that the crowd has quickly taken over the dance floor.  Everyone seems to be having a great time working their magic on the floor.  The vibe is friendly and inviting.  Spencer is keeping the crowd pleased.  The music is great and the crowd continues to grow beyond midnight.  It appears that Spencer's party was just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment